As ever, this year’s Chenin Blanc Report has a wide range of styles in evidence.
This year’s Chenin Blanc Report sponsored by multinational financial services company Prescient attracted 82 entries and these were tasted blind (labels out of sight) by a three-person panel, scoring done according to the 100-point quality scale. The Top 10 is as follows:
- Le Belle Rebelle Intrepid 2021
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Chenin Blanc Old Bush Vine 2021
- Roodekrantz 1983 Old Vine Chenin Blanc 2021
- Bruce Jack Boer Maak ‘n Plan 2020
- MAN Family Wines Free-Run Steen 2021
- Old Road Wine Co. Anemos 2020
- Piekenierskloof Bergendal Old Vine 2021
“The variety is extraordinarily malleable in both vineyard and cellar – depending on the timing of picking and the application of different winemaking techniques, a wide array of divergent but equally legitimate expressions can result,” says Christian Eedes, chairman of the tasting panel and Winemag.co.za editor.
To read the report in full, including key findings, tasting notes for the top wines and scores on the 100-point quality scale for all wines entered, visit winemag.co.za.